If you’ve not heard of superstar eventer London 52 by now, then where have you been?! Or maybe you do know who we’re talking about but would like to find out some more about Laura Collett’s 2022 Badminton Horse Trials winner, here we bring you everything you need to know about him…
1. London 52 was foaled on 28 May 2009.
2. He is a Holsteiner bay gelding measuring 16.3hh.
3. He is by Landos and out of Vernante, who is by Quinar Z.
4. London 52’s stable name is ‘Dan’.
5. London 52 was out of Laura’s budget when she saw him while shopping for horses to Germany. Karen Bartlett and Keith Scott helped her buy him and they still co-own the horse with Laura today.
6. London 52 had previously showjumped and Laura bought him in 2016 when he was seven.
7. His first eventing competition came in 2016 at Nunney. He jumped double clear in the BE100, finishing second on his dressage score of 28.5.
8. London 52’s first eventing win was in 2017 at Withington Manor in what was his first intermediate.
9. His first international came a month after his Withington intermediate win — it was in the CCI* (now CCI2*-L) at Tattersalls in June 2017, where he finished sixth, finishing on his dressage score.
10. London 52 helped secure the British team to Olympic team gold in Tokyo.
11. Laura has said that she “gets goosebumps” when she rides him. “I’m so lucky to ride him. I have to pinch myself!”
12. His dressage performances have always been strong. He has scored over 30 in the first phase only eight times during his 63 event career (as of May 2022). The majority of his marks are in the 20s (70%+) and his best score came at Upton House in the open intermediate in July 2019, where he scored an eye-wateringly good 18.9 (81.1%).
13. His jumping record is equally as impressive. He has jumped 32 double clears during his career — that’s a 63% double clear rate.
You may also be interested in:
Horse & Hound magazine, out every Thursday, is packed with all the latest news and reports, as well as interviews, specials, nostalgia, vet and training advice. Find how you can enjoy the magazine delivered to your door every week, plus options to upgrade your subscription to access our online service that brings you breaking news and reports as well as other benefits.