The riders who will be carrying British hopes while competing at former Olympic champion Ludger Beerbaum’s base in Riesenbeck, Germany (1-5 September) are:
- Emily Moffitt, 22, with Poden Farms and Neil and Heidi Moffitt’s Winning Good
- Joe Stockdale, 21, with Joy Cocklin’s Equine America Cacharel
- Georgia Tame, 23, with Breen Equestrian Ltd, Shane Breen and Team Z7’s Z7 Ascot
- William Whitaker, 31, with Philip Tuckwell’s Galtur
Emily, Joe and Georgia – and all four horses – are making their senior team debut. William rode at the World Equestrian Games in 2018, and the Europeans in 2017.
British Equestrian showjumping performance manager Di Lampard said having the “additional bonus” of the European Championships this year after the Olympics had given the selectors the opportunity to field an “exciting young team”.
“Championship experience is vital for any rider in their career and Emily, Joe, Georgia and William certainly have the potential to become mainstays of the British team for years to come,” said Di.
“I’m really looking forward to leading them in Germany and beyond.”
The selected Irish riders are:
- Daniel Coyle, 27, with Ariel Grange & Daniel Coyle’s Legacy
- Michael Duffy, 27, with HMF Equestrian & Katherine Duffy’s Zilton SL Z
- Mark McAuley, 24, with Scea La Tuiliere & Mark’s Jasco VD Bisschop
- Eoin McMahon, 26, with Madeleine Winter-Schulze’s Chacon 2
The reserve is Bertram Allen, 26, with Ballywalter Farm’s Harley VD Bisschop
“We are really looking forward to competing at these championships,” said Irish showjumping team manager Michael Blake.
“We have some exciting new combinations who have been in impressive form in recent months and this is a great opportunity for them to jump at a European Championships where the competition will be intense and the squad also includes a nice balance of experienced riders.”
You might also be interested in:
Horse & Hound magazine, out every Thursday, is packed with all the latest news and reports, as well as interviews, specials, nostalgia, vet and training advice. Find how you can enjoy the magazine delivered to your door every week, plus options to upgrade your subscription to access our online service that brings you breaking news and reports as well as other benefits.