Nominations are open for Horse&Hound’s new equestrian awards.
As Britain’s best-selling equestrian weekly magazine, H&H has decided to set up its first awards to recognise the best riders, vets, farriers, grooms and volunteers – those who make a real difference to the sport.
Equestrian heroes, both equine and human will be celebrated through the awards, as well as the most memorable moment in equestrian sport – the one that astounded and wowed its audience.
And we’re asking you, our wonderful loyal readers, to nominate your favourites.
“We have been wanting to launch these awards for some time, to have the opportunity to honour the achievements of the greatest in our industry,” said Sarah Jenkins, H&H’s content director.
The awards will “include those missed by the limelight and deserving of recognition” as well as household names.
There are 10 award categories:
- Horse & Hound Lifetime Achievement, which celebrates the life and work of the individual whose contribution to equestrian sport is little rivalled and worthy of sincerest praise
- TopSpec Vet of the Year for the skilled professional who has made a singular difference to a horse or horse’s lives
- NAF Five Star Profeet Farrier of the Year for a unique farrier whose knowledge and effort has made a difference to an equines’ performance
- Horseware Groom of the Year is honouring an individual’s dedication, skill and effort to take the best care of their charges day and night
- Equoevents.co.uk Volunteer of the Year will recognise the sacrifice made by an individual to enable others to enjoy their sport week in, week out
- NAF Five Star British Riding Club of the Year to celebrates the organisation that brings riders together and best supports them in achieving their goals
- Pikeur Amateur Rider of the Year will acknowledge the rider who does not make a living from riding, training or competing horses, yet dedicates themselves to their passion as if they did
- Spillers Professional Rider of the Year is to honours the greatest rider of our age, a hero who is an inspiration to all
- Country & Stable Horse of the Year celebrates the equestrian hero of today, a horse or pony who is at the top of his or her game and is a joy to watch
- Charles Owen Most Memorable Moment of the Year will appreciate the single moment in equestrian sport that has most captured imaginations
The closing date for nominations is 22 August.
Entry forms are in this week’s H&H magazine or can be made online at www.horseandhound.co.uk/awards
A panel of experts from H&H will whittle down entries to a five-strong shortlist for each category.
Each contender will be showcased in H&H’s 15 September issue.
The winners will be voted for by equestrian fans online at www.horseandhound.co.uk/awards and announced at a ceremony hosted at Ascot racecourse.
“For this to culminate in an evening of celebration reminiscent of the much-missed Horse & Hound ball will, I hope, be a fitting tribute to those worthy winners, chosen by our readers,” said Mrs Jenkins.
“We’re very grateful to all our sponsors for helping us to make these awards a reality this year.”