Are you looking to try hunting?
The Countryside Alliance’s (CA) annual newcomers’ week gives those new to the sport a chance to try hunting for the first time.
This year’s newcomers’ week runs from 17-24 October.
During this time, hunts across the country have organised events to attract new faces to the hunting field.
“Newcomers’ week grows year on year and it is heartening see more hunts organising events to introduce new faces to the hunting field, which is exactly the purpose of this week,” said Henrietta Rutgers of the CA.
Last year, the week introduced many hundreds of new people to trail hunting and hunting under the Act and the CA hopes to attract even more people in 2015.
Events range from jumping practice sessions to help mounted followers get their eye in after the summer break, to meets specifically tailored to those trying hunting for the first time, BBQs and tours of hunt kennels.
For more information call 02078409220 or visit: http://www.countryside-alliance.org/give-hunting-a-try-this-newcomers-week/
Meets and events for newcomers’ week 2015
- Axe Vale – Saturday 24 October. Details to be confirmed.
- Banwen Miners – Tuesday 27 October. Newcomers’ and children’s meet. £5 cap for all – anyone welcome. Banwen PC Field in Onllwyn 11am. For further details contact Nia Godsmark by calling 07815 150193 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blankney – Saturday 24 October. Newcomers’ meet. For further details contact Adrian Whitehead honorary secretary by calling 07771 507279.
- Carmarthenshire – Saturday 24 October. For more information contact Annette Kemp by calling 0789617001.
- Curre and Llangibby – Saturday 24 October at The Hall Inn, Gwehelog near Usk, 10am. For more information contact Charlotte Breese by calling 07703 269829 or 01594 530340.
- Dartmoor – Thursday 22 October 7pm. Newcomers’/Pony Club hunting evening followed by an 11am meet on Saturday 24 October at Buckfastleigh. Contact Amelia Eyston by calling 01548 821393 for more details.
- Dunston Harriers – Newcomers and children are welcome at meets on 17, 20 and 24 October. Also ditch jumping schooling morning for the novice or nervous. Contact Georgie Mann on 07968 827552 or Sue Pennell on 01953 788283 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Eggesford – 24 October, newcomers’ day, 28 October, Pony Club meet. For further details and location contact Graeme Holmes on 07971 597786 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fitzwilliam (Milton) Hunt – Saturday 17 October, 7.30am. For further details contact Karen Silcock by emailing email@example.com or call 01487 841722.
- The Grove & Rufford – Saturday 17 October. Further details from Jane Bowen by calling 07788523917.
- Jedforest – Newcomers’ meet with a talk/welcome from masters, followed by coffee, juice, bacon rolls and cake at the kennels. Further details from Jenny Pole firstname.lastname@example.org or 07760 238596
- New Forest – Saturday 10 October at Janesmoor Pond, Stoney Cross. 9am start. Contact Penny Rendle on email@example.com or 07775 722795.
- North Cotswold – Date to be confirmed and will be followed by breakfast in the barn. Also intending to do a pre-newcomers’ evening in a local pub. Contact Charlotte Russell on 01386 725423 or 07816 600605.
- North Lonsdale Foxhounds – 17 and 24 October. Newcomers’/Young Farmers’ days. Further details from Sue Thompson 07973961041 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oakley – 17, 20 and 24 October. All suitable for first-timers but Saturday 24 is specially for newcomers. Saturday 17 October – Lavendon Mill, Lavendon, MK46 4HJ at 8am; Tuesday 20 October, Astwood Grange, Astwood, MK16 9JT at 8am; Saturday 24 October, The Kennels, Melchbourne, MK441BN at 11am. Followed by a BBQ and tour around the kennels. For further details contact email@example.com
- Pembrokeshire – Saturday 17 October, Clarbeston Road followed by hunt breakfast. Further details Gill Wilson 01437 741793.
- Royal Artillery Hunt – 2-4 October. Hunting clinic/newcomers weekend 2015. Lots going on for further details please contact Pippa Grob 07780 547696.
- Vine and Craven – Saturday 24 October. Please contact Lucinda Green on 07702 596029 for further details.
- Warwickshire – Saturday 24 October at Park Farm, North Newington, Banbury OX15 6AD at 8am. Details Charmian Green firstname.lastname@example.org