Sam Griffiths guest edits this week’s H&H (3 March), the first of four guest-edited specials for the magazine this spring.
The Australian eventer, who won Badminton in 2014 on Paulank Brockagh, has worked with the H&H team to deliver an exciting eventing special issue.
- Think like a winner — we find out what’s running through the minds of the top competitors such as Scott Brash, Mark Todd, Andrew Nicholson and Michael Eilberg before they get on the horse at an event, while they are warming up and in the ring
- Do mouthguards stop concussion? We investigate whether this kit could help safety in eventing
- The Antipodean migration — why event riders come to Britain and what they sacrifice to make the move
- How cross-country course-designers work — leading designers including Mike Etherington-Smith, Mark Phillips and Ian Stark reveal how they go about creating a track on a virgin site
“Sam was a joy to work with — extremely well organised and with lots of great ideas,” said H&H eventing editor Pippa Roome. “I hope the readers enjoy checking out all the features.”
Sam said: “As an Antipodean, I’m honoured to have been asked to guest edit this traditionally very British magazine.”
In the editorial leader, Sam also reveals his views on the future of eventing in the Olympic Games.
A series of website features support the magazine special — including a two-part Q&A with Sam (to be published on Thursday, 3 March and Monday, 7 March), an article on the horses who have made Sam’s career (to be published on Friday, 4 March), fun facts about Sam and a quiz.
The other guest edited specials are:
- Showing special (17 March), guest-edited by Robert Walker
- Dressage special (24 March), guest-edited by Laura Tomlinson
- Showjumping special (31 March), guest-edited by Geoff Billington