What has about 20 pages, involves 150-200 emails landing at H&H and features over 70 readers?
The answer is the H&H reader issue. Started in 2012, this edition of the magazine offers you, our readers, the chance to tell us your stories and for the best ones to be printed.
After the success of the 2012 reader issue, it returned in 2013 and now it’s back again — this year’s reader issue will be out on 18 December.
So, it’s time for you to send us your stories. Have you achieved a personal first this year? Beaten illness, injury or other adverse circumstances? Brought on a new horse?
Full details of all the categories and details of how to submit your story are below. We are also seeking fantastic photos.
The best entries will win free subscriptions to H&H and we will also be doing “at home” photoshoots with some contributors.
And as last year, we will be asking you to choose our cover star. Click here to vote for your horse of the year — who will be on the cover of the issue — as well as your rider of 2014 and more.
➤ Personal firsts: have you achieved something for the first time in 2014? Breeding a foal, competing affiliated, winning a class, becoming a judge? Or did your Riding Club, Pony Club branch or other group hold its first charity event?
➤ Beating the odds: have you as a rider, or your horse, returned from illness or injury in 2014? How did you do it? What did you learn from the experience?
➤ New horse diary: did you acquire a new equine in 2013? We are looking for short, month-by-month diaries of the highs and lows.
➤ Your best picture of the year: it could be funny, beautiful or just tell a wonderful story. Tell us why it’s special.
➤ Your best “The Finest View in Europe” picture of the year, with apologies to Snaffles: yes, you’ve all seen them on social media. We want your best “through the ears” shot of 2014 — tell us where you took it and who the ears belong to.
How to enter
• Entries must be submitted to Pippa Roome at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Deadline: midnight, Sunday 2 November
• Please include a contact telephone number
• Submissions should not exceed 500 words and may be edited for clarity and space
• If your words are on a word document instead of in the body of the email, please include your name and email address on the word document
• Attach photos to the email — do not embed them in a word document or the email body
• Include details of who took photos