The right experience and qualifications doesn’t automatically guarantee you get your ideal job. You need to sell yourself in the best possible way and this initially takes the form of a covering letter and your curriculum vitae (CV).
Follow these simple steps to success:
- Include all your relevant experience on your CV. This may be previous employment, voluntary work or hobbies and interests.
- Check your spelling and punctuation. One mistake could mean the difference between two candidates.
- Don’t include “waffle” – keep it simple and straight to the point.
- Make sure your CV is easy to read and information is easily accessible.
- Research the company or yard that you are applying to.
- Have a list of questions prepared for the interview.
- Think carefully about how to convince the interviewer that you are the best person for the job.
For more advice see Horse & Hound’s Career Special (17 January 2002) or click here to subscribe.