At 20 years old, he’s no spring chicken, but Lenamore is not one to laze around in “retirement”.
The gutsy grey retired from eventing earlier this year, but this afternoon (1 August) from 3pm fans will see him flying round Hickstead — tackling massive obstacles, including the Devil’s Dyke — in the Amlin Plus Eventing Grand Prix at the Longines Royal International Horse Show.
“He’s in great form,” his rider Caroline Powell told H&H. “I’ve been taking him out showjumping to give him a bit of fun and keep his mind busy. He’s fit, well and still loving life.”
The 2010 Burghley winner and Kiwi team stalwart has taken part once before, in 2010, when he finished 4th.
“He thoroughly enjoyed it and we’ll be giving it a good bash again this time,” added Caroline.
Competitors tackle a course of showjumps before embarking on a series of mainly knock-down cross-country style fences.
Another combination to watch is Grand National-winning jockey Robbie Power, who is hoping to escape the Galway racing festival to ride Speed Derby winner Doonaveeragh O One (pictured below).
Trevor Breen will partner Laura Collett’s Badminton ride, Noble Bestman, while she recovers from her fall.
Amlin Plus Eventing Grand Prix entries
- Austin O’Connor and Zahiro vit T’Veld
- Joseph Murphy and Electric Cruise
- Emily Llewellyn and Pardon Me
- Pippa Funnell and Billy the Biz
- Gary Parsonage and Highland Cavalier
- Tony Warr and Coolgrange Merger
- Helen Wilson and Tommy Gun
- Mark Todd and NZB Regent Lad
- Kristina Cook and De Novo News
- Lucy Jackson and It’s A Jackpot
- Sarah Ennis and Stellor Bound
- Sam Penn and Seven O Seven
- Caroline Powell and Lenamore
- Anna Hilton and Willows Takuna
- David Simpson and Arantos
- Zoe Adams and Satonamillion
- Peter Lear and Bob Le Cob
- Michael Lonsdale and Loughnatousa OB
- Darragh McCarthy and Whisper S
- Rowan Willis and Wellington Beowulf
- Elliott Reeves and Cairo Z II
- Harriet Nuttall and Highland Cruiser II
- Bruno Goyens De Heusch and Quantum Leap
- Trevor Breen and Noble Bestman
- Robert (or Elizabeth) Power and Doonaveeragh O One