Mare spooked by dogs becomes trapped in gate in ‘horrible ordeal’

  • phoebe horse 1A horse trapped in a metal gate was cut free by firefighters last week (19 October).

    The 15hh piebald mare called Phoebe was tied to the gate but reared when spooked by dogs. One hoof became stuck in the metal bar of the gate.

    As she was trying to free herself she managed to get the other hoof stuck.

    A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service told H&H they were called just before 1.30pm to Shadoxhurst in Kent.

    The service sent out its animal rescue unit from Faversham and a crew from Ashford Fire Station.

    Popular articles

    Firefighters used hydraulic cutting gear to free the mare and she was released around 2.10pm.

    The mare was sedated while the firefighters cut her out and then checked over by the vet.

    Owner Charlie Bell told the local press she was “so thankful to the fire crew and Millbourne vets from Ashford” who rescued her horse so quickly.

    Phoebe had to have stitches in her front legs and is on medication but is expected to make a full recovery.

    phoebe horse 2“Phoebe was in a lot of shock, she’d snapped a post trying to break free and my first thought was that she was going to twist her ankles right off,” said Charlie.

    She said it was “a horrible ordeal” but “we’re really grateful to the rescue team. They were unbelievable, I really could not fault them.”

    You may like...