The second leg of the Event Rider Masters kicks off on Friday (10 June 2016), so here are some fun facts to get you in the mood
6 fun facts about the CIC3* at Bramham
1. 12% of competitors have made the optimum time in the class, with at least two riders beating the clock every year since the CIC3* started in 2009. Last year 11 horses finished in the time, the most ever.
2. 66% of CIC3* pairs have jumped clear across country.
3. Only one combination has led the dressage and gone on to win the class — 2014 victors William Fox-Pitt and Chilli Morning.
4. New Zealand riders have led the dressage on four of the seven runnings, but none of them went on to win.
5. Chilli Morning’s finishing score, 37.1, is the class record, although he incurred more cross-country time-faults than any other winner (5.6). Upleadon, the winner of the inaugural running in 2009 with Neil Spratt, is the only other victor to have had any time-penalties (0.8).
7 fun facts about the ERM contestants
1. US pair Clark Montgomery and Loughan Glen have an impressive average international dressage score of 37.5 over the past year.
2. Izzy Taylor and Be Touchable have never had a showjumping penalty together.
3. Mark Todd has led the dressage in this class twice on NZB Regent Lad, but failed to complete the cross-country both times. In fact the New Zealander has only finished the course once in five attempts. He rides NZB Campino in the ERM.
4. Kiwi rider Jonelle Price and Faerie Dianimo have a seven-run streak of no jumping penalties in the cross-country or showjumping at international events.
5. Laura Collett’s ride Mr Bass has a career total of just 3.6 time-penalties on the cross-country at international events.
Like this? You might also enjoy reading these:
6. Annie Clover (Nicola Wilson), picutred above, is the only horse who has won the CIC3* before contesting the ERM. In three appearances at Bramham, they have netted three top-five finishes.
7. Germany’s Pia Münker has scored in the 20s in the first phase at international events six times since 2014. She rides Stachus 9 here.
Statistics courtesy of EquiRatings