To be crowned champion at the Blue Chip Championships (6-10 April) is the pinnacle of the winter season for many riders. A lucky few will experience the adrenalin rush of a lap of honour wearing a championship rug and sash at Hartpury College, Glos. Now in its 20th year, this hugely popular show is a must for riders and spectators alike.
The highlight is gala night on Friday, 8 April, starting at 7pm. Two showjumping classes feature, starting with the Henley and Barr junior challenge — where 10 pony riders go head-to-head in a fun and fast speed class with a twist — followed by the Blue Chip grand prix.
Andrews Bowen is offering a £1,000 bonus to any rider placed first to third in the previous night’s Blue Chip A&B challenge trophy who then wins the Blue Chip grand prix.
Crowds will be further entertained by a masterclass with leading international rider Peter Charles. Peter will be offering tips on producing showjumpers and conducting a course walk around the grand prix track.
Tickets are £6 and available at the door, which opens at 6.20pm.
What’s on when
There are daily finals and entry for spectators is free every day bar gala night. The cafe, bar and tradestands overlook the championship arena, so no one misses out on the action.
Wednesday, 6 April
- Tag66 novice championship
- Blue Chip Joint RLF power championship
Thursday, 7 April
- Joshua Jones UK discovery championship
- Devoucoux star championship
- Blue Chip Karma performance championship
- Blue Chip Pro A&B challenge trophy
Friday, 8 April
- Blue Chip Sparkle JC/JA championship
- Blue Chip Dynamic B&C championship
- Halsall Electrical 1.25m championship
- Gala night (see details above)
Saturday, 9 April
- Tag66 pony winter novice championship
- Tag66 pony winter discovery championship
Sunday, 10 April
- Tag66 pony sapphire championship
- Tag66 pony coral championship
Go to www.bluechipchamps.co.uk for further information about the show.