Jockeys suffer suspected spinal injuries in four-horse pile-up

  • Horse & Hound is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy. Learn more
  • Two jockeys have been taken to hospital with suspected spinal injuries after a four-horse pile-up at Kempton racecourse today (31 October).

    Champion jockey Jim Crowley and Freddy Tylicki were both taken to the major trauma unit at St George’s Hospital, Tooting.

    Steve Drowne and Ted Durcan also came down in the pile-up, which occurred as the runners turned in to the home straight in the 3.20pm race.

    After some delay, and having consulted riders at the track, stewards decided to abandon the rest of the meeting.

    Clerk of the course Barney Clifford told the Racing Post: “Both jockeys have gone to St George’s in Tooting for further investigation. Freddy Tylicki was airlifted and Jim Crowley has gone by road ambulance.

    “Both are on spinal boards and both gave their consent to me and the doctor to update their next of kin family members. I can’t say any more than that at this stage.”

    Steve and Ted got to their feet and were able to walk to the weighing room, and it has been reported that all four horses involved were also on their feet.

    Mr Clifford said: “I touched base with Steve Drowne and he was fine. Ted Durcan was quite shaken. I just hope and pray that both Freddy and Jim are ok.

    “Having discussed it with the jockeys and the stewards the unanimous decision, as a mark of respect to the two lads that had been injured, was that we abandon racing.”

    Freddy was in second place when the incident happened.

    It appeared his mount Nellie Deen clipped leader Madame Butterfly, who went on to win the race.

    Nellie Deen then brought down Electrify (Jim Crowley), Skara Mae (Steve Drowne) and Sovrano Dolce (Ted Durcan).

    UPDATE, 2 November: the Injured Jockeys Fund has released a statement. A spokesman said: “Freddy remains in a stable condition. There will be no further update today from either Freddy’s family or the staff at St Georges hospital although one may follow later this week.
    Freddy’s family are very thankful for the support and best wishes that they continue to receive and appreciate the chance for some privacy at this time.”

    You may like...