This season has been event rider Jodie Amos’s most successful to date. She contested seven three-stars riding Nicky Coates’ Wise Crack (pictured) and finished in the top seven at four of them. Fifth place at Bramham CCI3* was a highlight, and she rounded off the year with her best-ever result, third at Blenheim CCI3*.
The feat sealed victory in the inaugural Britannia League, a series for the highest ranked British horse and rider combination who have never competed at a senior championship.
Things you didn’t know about Jodie
1. Although she is English, Jodie grew up in Antibes in the south of France. When she was a baby, she lived in Ibiza for six months.
2. Her parents enjoyed renovating run-down properties. As a result, Jodie moved more than 15 times when she was younger.
3. Jodie’s mother, Joanna (nee Andrews), was a famous actress. She appeared in many TV programmes, including Black Beauty, and was the face of Vauxhall’s TV adverts.
4. Jodie moved to the UK when she was 19 to study French, Spanish and history at Nottingham University. Horses eventually took preference and, instead of spending her third year studying in South America, she quit to focus on eventing.
5. She is fluent in French and her Spanish is pretty good, too.
6. While living in France, Jodie was temporarily based with former French chef d’equipe Laurent Bousquet. They still speak on the phone regularly — in French, of course
7. Jodie owned a pony in France and says that if she had had a horse, she probably would have gone down the showjumping route, due to this sport being more accessible.
8. When she first arrived in the UK Jodie spent some time at Tiny Clapham’s yard. Her only problem was that she didn’t know any English words for tack and other horsey gear. Jodie admits to still getting some expressions wrong now.
9. Jodie is spending some of the winter break in Australia, where her half-sister, Sarah, lives in Brisbane.
10. She enjoys a short holiday in the summer, to refresh her for the rest of the season. The usual destination is Montenegro, where he partner Nick Hollick’s parents have a holiday home.
11. Jodie enjoys playing tennis and visits a local club once a week
Don’t miss the full interview with Jodie Amos in the December issue of Eventing magazine, on sale 22 November.