Britain’s squad for the HSBC FEI European Eventing Championships at Luhmuhlen, Germany (25-28 August), has been announced as:
- Laura Collett (pictured at Badminton this year) riding Jason Houghton’s Rayef
- William Fox-Pitt riding Teresa Stopford Sackville’s Cool Mountain
- Piggy French riding Walter French and Michael Underwood’s Jakata
- Mary King riding Janette Chinn and Edwin and Sue Davies’s Imperial Cavalier
- Polly Stockton riding her own and Arthur Comyn’s Westwood Poser
- Nicola Wilson riding Rosemary Search’s Opposition Buzz
All six compete as individuals, with four being chosen nearer the time to form the team and try to win Britain’s ninth consecutive European team gold medal.
The non-travelling reserves will be chosen nearer the time.
While William, Mary, Piggy and Nicola all rode at least year’s World Equestrian Games, Laura, 21, is making her senior squad debut. Polly is returning to the squad for the first time since riding as an individual at the 2005 Blenheim Europeans. She had her first child, Jake, last year.
Yogi Breisner, World Class performance manager for the eventing team, said: “It’s a very exciting team and great to have Polly back in the squad. We also welcome Laura as a new member at senior level after her success on pony, junior and young rider teams. Altogether we have a fantastic mix of youth and experience and some great combinations to look out for.”
Exclusive interview with Laura Collett in H&H next week, out 21 July.