Simon Lawrance, MFH, five-star event rider and UKCC Level 3 coach shares his thoughts on how trail hunting can help your horse’s training.
1. Trail hunting is excellent for horses that have got sour in competition or training and need sweetening up.
2. It is great for strengthening — they are working for a long periods, without being asked to do very difficult things.
3. It makes them tougher and less “precious”, and able to cope with different types of ground and going.
4. It makes them braver and more forward-thinking.
5. It improves their ability to get themselves out of trouble and teaches them to find a “fifth leg”.
6. It is a fun way of getting horses fit, particularly warmbloods and those which are inclined to be stuffy.
7. It teaches them to gallop and improves one-paced horses by making them more competitive.
8. It accustoms them to being around other horses in potentially exciting environments.
9. Remember that it is not going to suit every horse, but most — not all — can settle to it in time.
10. I recommend taking a young horse to some competitions before he goes trail hunting so that the rider can assess how he is likely to behave in public with other horses.
11. Trail hunting also has huge benefits for the rider. It is excellent for improving strength and fitness, and teaches the rider to deal with the unexpected. They learn to ride up and downhill, to cross a variety of terrains and how to conserve their horse’s energy. Anyone who rides would benefit from going trail hunting.
12. It allows both horse and rider to have fun and relax in each other’s company without competitive pressure.
You might also be interested in:
International coach William Micklem offers advice on teaching your horse to have a "fifth leg" going cross-country — in an
To celebrate this week’s hunting special of Horse & Hound magazine (26 October 2017), take a look at our A-Z
Horse & Hound magazine, out every Thursday, is packed with all the latest news and reports, as well as interviews, specials, nostalgia, vet and training advice. Find how you can enjoy the magazine delivered to your door every week, plus options to upgrade your subscription to access our online service that brings you breaking news and reports as well as other benefits.