Germany’s showjumping legend Marcus Ehning landed the €100,000 (£78,741) prize in the Longines Global Champions Tour (GCT) grand prix of Vienna this weekend (19-21 September), on the 17-year-old Plot Blue.
Find out all you need to know about the showjumper — from what his favourite food is, to his top show and the name of his first pony.
- His wife Nadia was a champion vaulter
- He has three children, Yula, Davy and Nael
- He is from a non-horsey family. His mother was a teacher and his father a livestock dealer
- He has one brother and three sisters
- His favourite food is steak and chips
- His favourite film is Forest Gump, starring his favourite actor Tom Hanks
- His favourite show is Aachen
- His first pony was called Narmit
- He won two pony European gold medals on Starlight
- He loves to play football
- He has a British groom, Kay Neatham
- His idol as a young rider was John Whitaker
Don’t miss the 25 September issue of Horse & Hound magazine, with our full report from the GCT of Vienna