Q&A: Insurance for instructors

  • Expert advice from HORSE magazine on choosing the right insurance cover as an instructor

    Q: I am a qualified freelance instructor and recently seem to be spending more and more time instructing pupils in stable management as well as riding. To supplement my income I also clip and prepare horses for shows and competitions. Do I need extra insurance cover for this or will my current instructors’ liability policy cover me for all these activities?

    Simon Mackaness of BEIB replies: As you are aware, as a freelance instructor it’s essential you possess a Public Liability policy.

    That said, not all Public Liability policies offer the same level of cover and you must ensure that your policy is suitable for its purpose.

    Specialist equestrian insurance brokers will see that your Public Liability cover gives you specific protection for the kinds of activities that you will be involved in – suchas instruction, schooling, clipping and other stable management activities.

    Do check your current policy carefully as they are not all the same. BEIB has produced a bespoke policy to cover these types of activity – do not rely on a general sports policy.

    Working with horses, you’d also be well advised to take out Personal Accident cover which, in addition to protecting your income and helping with medical bills, can help you employ someone to take care of your horse(s) if you’re unable to work.

    Read more about insurance:

    You may like...