Protexin has established its reputation in the equestrian market through its Equine Premium range, a collection of probiotics and prebiotics developed to protect and support the horse’s digestive system in specific circumstances.
10 things you need to know about probiotics
- Probiotics are supplements added to the horse’s diet that contain live beneficial micro-organisms that optimise intestinal microbial health.
- Probiotics are defined by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as “live micro-organisms, which when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit on the host”.
- Probiotics have been shown to increase the efficiency of digestion, demonstrating an improved digestive system and overall health of a horse.
- Within the gut, beneficial as well as pathogenic (those that can cause disease) micro-organisms will be utilising the same types of nutrients. This results in a general competition between micro-organisms for these nutrients. When a probiotic is administered there is an overall reduction in nutrients available for pathogenic bacteria. Consequently, this minimises the levels of pathogenic microorganisms that can cause disease.
- Probiotics attach to the gut wall and form colonies at various sites throughout the gut. This prevents pathogenic bacteria from gaining a foothold, resulting in their expulsion from the body and helping the overall health of your horse.
- A probiotic should have no nutrition or energy value so it can be combined with any diet with no risk of overdose.
- Probiotics have been shown to increase levels of immunity and the effectiveness of infection-fighting cells (white blood cells).
- Make sure your probiotics are manufactured with high quality standards and the correct processes. This is imperative and ensures that the product meets label specifications and is also effective and safe to use, so use a well established reputable brand. Within the EU all probiotics must be registered for use in an individual animal species. For example, Saccharomyces cerevisiae (NCYC Sc47) 4b1702 is registered for use in horses.
- Probiotics in the Equine Premium range are specifically developed to survive the transit through the gut owing to a unique process involving freeze drying and micro-encapsulation — this improves stability throughout the digestive tract. The Equine Premium range is fully BETA NOPS compliant for use in competition and racehorses.
- Protexin’s unique Preplex prebiotic feeds the beneficial microorganisms in the gut and helps restore the balance of the microflora promoting effective health, recovery and performance in horses.
The Protexin Equine Premium Range includes Gut Balancer, Acid Ease, Quick Fix and Recover Aid, all of which are designed to assist in building up the horse’s health and performance.
For more information, please contact Protexin Equine Premium, tel: 01460 243230 or visit www.equinepremium.com.