Woman burnt by acid found in pony’s water bucket

  • A Cornish woman has suffered horrific facial burns after contaminated water from her pony’s bucket accidentally splashed her face.

    Mandi Knight, 46 from St Austell, posted pictures of her injuries on social media on Wednesday (22 October).

    She said “caustic soda or something of that strength” had been found in her pony, Lolly’s, bucket and that she had informed the police.

    “I am putting this picture up showing what just a splash of the stuff left in the pony’s water did to my face,” she said.

    “Lolly would be dead if she had drunk this.”

    Police have not confirmed what the substance was but caustic soda can cause nausea, vomiting, blindness, stomach cramps and even death if ingested.

    Ms Knight told local press that she noticed cloudy water in the bucket, and when she picked it up to move it, water splashed out on her.

    She also had her tack room broken into last week and the police believe the same person maybe responsible for the water bucket.

    A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall police said: “Officers are investigating a report of a burglary in Stenalees, St Austell, and also suspicious circumstances of a bucket of corrosive liquid being found in the area.

    “The burglary occurred sometime overnight between 14 Tuesday and 15 Wednesday when entry was gained to a tack room and equestrian items stolen.

    “A black bucket was also found in the area, which is believed to have contained an unknown corrosive clear liquid, some of this liquid may have been put into the horses drinking water.”

    Police are asking anyone with information to contact them on 101 quoting police reference CR/114628/14.

    You may like...