The reining squad that will represent Great Britain at this summer’s World Equestrian Games (WEG) has been announced and includes 3 members of the same family.
The team chosen by British Reining will see Jessica Sternberg, 24 competing alongside her aunt, Francesca Sternberg, and her uncle, Doug Allen, both team GB stalwarts.
The full squad has been named as:
- Doug Allen, 55, competing in his 4th WEG.
- Shane Borland, 42, from Stratford-upon-Avon, who competed in 2 previous World Games for South Africa.
- Josh Collins, 24, who has been selected for his first WEG.
- Francesca Sternberg, 51, who has been on all 3 previous WEG teams.
- Jessica Sternberg, 24, from Bodiham, East Sussex.
Doug Allen said: “In Lexington we used borrowed horses but with Normandy being so much closer to home we can take our own; we know our horses really well and will feel much more prepared and confident.”
Will Connell, chef de mission said, “The squad is underpinned by the huge depth of experience of Francesca and Doug and it’s great to see 3 athletes making their debut for GBR at a World Championships.”
The reining competition at WEG takes place on 25-30 August in Caen.