The Irish squad for the Longines FEI European Eventing Championships has been named.
The riders who will be competing for their country are:
- Aoife Clark and Vaguely North, owned by Henrietta Duchess of Bedford and Jacqueline Norris
- Padraig McCarthy and Simon Porloe, owned by Christopher and Sarita Perkins
- Austin O’Connor and Balham Houdini, owned by Austin O’Connor and Kate Jarvey
- Michael Ryan and Ballylynch Adventure owned by Carol and Tom Henry and Sheila Foley
- Camilla Speirs and Portersize Just A Jiff, owned by Bridget and Camilla Speirs
- Sam Watson and Horseware Lukeswell, owned by Sam Watson and Horseware Products Ltd
The championships take place at Blair Castle in Scotland later this year (10-13 September).
The squad of six riders have a wealth of experience between them. Five riders have represented Ireland at senior championship level previously, and they will be joined by first timer Padraig McCarthy.
A team of four will be selected from among the six named riders after the first horse inspection at Blair with the other two riders then competing as individuals.
“I am very grateful to all of the owners for their continued support,” said Nick Turner, Team Ireland Equestrian eventing high performance manager.
“Although we are already qualified for the Olympic Games in Rio next year we will be fighting to be in the mix for medals on the Sunday.”
- Jayne Doherty and The Only One
- Joseph Murphy and Sportsfield Othello
- Patricia Ryan and Dunrath Eclipse
For an exclusive interview with team rider Aoife Clarke don’t miss next week’s issue of H&H, out Thursday, 6 August