A Scottish man has been fined after allowing a horse to suffer with a maggot infested leg wound.
Ricky Martin, known as Gary Martin, of Houndslow, Gordon was convicted on Monday (8 February).
He appeared at Jedburgh Sheriff Court and was ordered to pay £1,200 in compensation to the Scottish SPCA.
The 31-year-old had pleaded guilty to failing to provide veterinary treatment at a previous hearing.
The 19-year-old stallion, Silver, had a serious wound, which had been left unattended.
The horse was found by the Scottish SPCA.
“Silver had a bandage on his left hind leg which looked like it had been on for some considerable time,” said Scottish SPCA Inspector Tracy McNaughton.
- The Micklem bridle: what you need to know
- Wood pellet horse bedding: what are the pros and cons?
- Rider in serious condition after horse spooked by car
“There was flesh growing over the top of the wound and it was covered in dirty puss.
“Following an independent veterinary examination, it was concluded that Silver had a horrific leg wound which he had not received any veterinary attention for.
“There was a large number of maggots in and around the wound and the vet confirmed Silver had suffered as a result.
“Silver required specialist veterinary treatment including several leg casts and a skin graft. Thankfully he has since made a fully recovery and has since found a loving new home.”