Equestrian Australia has announced the squad that will represent the country at this summer’s Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games (WEG):
- Chris Burton with the TS Jamaimo Syndicate’s TS Jamaimo
- Sam Griffiths with Mr and Mrs Posford and Jules Carter’s Paulank Brockagh
- Sonja Johnson with Nikki Harwood’s Parkiarrup Illicit Liaison
- Bill Levett with Clare, Anne and Mike Prentice’s Shannondale Titan
- Shane Rose with Elizabeth Wischer’s CP Qualified
- Paul Tapner with Fred and Penny Barker’s Kilronan
This year’s Badminton winner Sam Griffiths has got the call-up with superstar mare Paulank Brockagh. British-based Sam will be hoping for better luck at this championships after 2 unfortunate eliminations at the London Olympics and Kentucky in 2010.
2010 Badminton winner Paul Tapner was leading after cross-country at Badminton this year with Kilronan, but ended up fourth after having four rails down in the showjumping. Paul represented Australia in Kentucky in 2010 but missed out on Olympic selection in London.
The only selected rider not to have represented Australia in a previous WEG is Bill Levett. Bill was forced to withdraw as reserve for the London 2012 after an injury to his ride One Two Many NJ.
The reserve team will be announced on or before 23 July 2014.