Edward Gal’s top grand prix horse Glock’s Undercover NOP has been withdrawn from this week’s Dutch National Championships (14-17 July) – and from contention for an Olympic place in Rio De Janeiro.

Edward said he felt competing the 15-year-old Dutch warmblood gelding by Ferro this weekend in Ermelo “was not going to work”, and the Dutch national federation told H&H today Undercover was no longer in the running for Rio selection.

But he’s still in the race with Voice,” a spokesman said.

The withdrawal of Undercover, who is owned by, Austrian Gaston Glock, was announced by Glock Horse Performance Center.

“We are really sorry, but Edward won’t ride Undercover at the Dutch Championships in Ermelo this weekend,” a statement read.

Edward added: “I feel that it is not going to work. ‘Fritsie’ will get stressed again for sure. It’s a pity but our decision is for Fritsie’s sake.

My ambitions to ride are not as important as the welfare of the horse. So Fritsie stays at home where he is happy!”

Edward and Undercover were eliminated during the 2015 European championships under the FEI’s blood rule. They made their competition comeback at the Nieuw en St Joosland grand prix in April, when they finished sixth with a score well below their best.

The 2010 World champion is still due to compete his second long-listed horse, the 14-year-old stallion Glock’s Voice, with whom he represented the Netherlands at the 2014 World Equestrian Games, at the Dutch championships.


Related articles:


The other 12 riders announced on the Dutch long-list for Rio are Marlies van Baalen, Kirsten Beckers, Adelinde Cornelissen, Katja Gevers, Daniëlle Heijkoop, Marjan van der Jagt, Patrick van der Meer, Hans Peter Minderhoud, Emmelie Scholtens, Diederik van Silfhout, Tommie Visser and Madeleine Witte-Vrees.

This weekend’s championships had been pinpointed as the second of two mandatory selection trials, after Rotterdam CDIO (23-26 June).

Dutch team trainer Wim Ernes is due to announce the Olympic team on Sunday (17 July).