The International Federation of Equestrian Sport (FEI) has launched what it’s calling the equestrian Oscars.
The FEI said the awards will “celebrate the equestrian community and pay tribute to the heroes of the sport.”
FEI President HRH Princess Haya, said: “These awards will not only recognise the achievements and success of individuals and highlight the stars of today and tomorrow but they will also bring together all those involved in the sport around the world.”
An international judging panel chaired by Princess Haya will select the winners.
The ‘Oscars’ will be presented to the winners at the FEI gala dinner 2009 in Copenhagen, Denmark, on 21 November.
The five categories are:
• Athlete of the Year — to a rider, driver or vaulter who has shown exceptional sportsmanship and prowess
• Rising Star — to a promising rider between the ages of 14-21. Sponsored by HSBC
• Development — for a development project, individual or organisation that has contributed most to the sport. Sponsored by Alltech.
• Against All Odds — to celebrate an outstanding disabled rider of any age
• Groom of the Year — the unsung hero behind the scenes
Nominations can be made at www.feiawards.org