Frank Ostholt led the German eventing team to victory in the CIC*** at Aachen, Germany, this morning.
Frank put in the only cross-country round inside the 7min optimum time to take top spot on his individual ride Air Jordan 2, who also won here last year, and finished third on Mr Medicott, his mount for Hong Kong who was in the German team here.
“They are two different types, but both super horses,” he said afterwards. “I am lucky to have them to ride.”
The Netherlands’ Tim Lips, 22, was the surprise star of the weekend, moving up from sixth after dressage to take second spot. He was in pole position going into the cross-country after a clear show jumping round on Blom’s Oncarlos, but chose to play safe at the difficult combination of angled hedges at fence 17, losing a little time in the process.
The Swedish team — spearheaded by sixth-placed Magnus Gallerdal (Keymaster 3) — finished second, with the young British team third after a mixed weekend.
Nicola Wilson was seventh and best Brit after a brilliant cross-country round on Opposition Buzz which was just one second over the optimum time. She also show jumped clear yesterday evening, but the show jumping proved the downfall of her fellow team members Heidi Woodhead (The Biz) and Georgie Davies (Fachoudette), who had both had several fences down and time-faults. Fachoudette was subsequently withdrawn.
British individual rider Rosie Thomas also had a turbulent time in the show jumping arena, but went well across country, as did Heidi and Emily Baldwin, who was second best Brit, finishing 14th with Drivetime.
“I was a bit disappointed yesterday [with the show jumping],” admitted chef d’equipe Kenneth Clawson. “But I was proud of them today, they all rode well across country.”
Don’t forget to buy Horse & Hound this Thursday (10 July) for a full report from Aachen, with colour photographs.
1. Air Jordan 2 (Frank Ostholt, GER) 50.2
2. Blom’s Oncarlos (Tim Lips, NED) 51.7
3. Mr Medicott (Frank Ostholt, GER) 54.1
4. Euroridings Butts Leon (Andreas Dibowski, GER) 54.7
5. Marius Voigt-Logistik (Hinrich Romeike, GER) 56.7
6. Keymaster 3 (Magnus Gallerdal, SWE) 57.2
7. Opposition Buzz (Nicola Wilson, GB) 58
14. Drivetime (Emily Baldwin, GB) 70.8
21. The Biz (Heidi Woodhead, GB) 86.6
25. Barry’s Best (Rosie Thomas, GB) 96.2
Withdrawn before cross-country: Fachoudette (Georgie Davies, GB)
1. Germany (F Ostholt, H Romeike, I Klimke, B Hoy) 188.4
2. Sweden (M Gallerdal, K Norling, V Carlerback, L Algotsson) 192.5
3. Britain (N Wilson, E Baldwin, H Woodhead, G Davies) 215.4
4. Belgium (K Donckers, S van Hasselt, J van Springel) 275.2
5. Italy (J Carlos Gracia, F Magni, S Bordone, M Speranza Gardini) 375.2
6. France (L Guyon, A Kahn, N Touzaint, A Boiteau) 1,160