Dog’s miracle rescue from fire

Firefighters in Berkshire have successfully rescued a dog and a cat from ahouse fire in Chippenham.

Benson, a one-year-old Neapolitan Mastiff, and Fitz the cat were trapped in an upstairs bedroom of their owner’s semi-detached house when the fire started at about 9.15pm on Saturday night (10 June).

Kim Hawkes returned home to find smoke pouring down the stairs of her home that she shares with her 11-year-old daughter and partner Lee Twaddle.

Neighbours heard Kim’s frantic screams but, despite their best efforts, they were unable to reach the two animals.

Firefighters were called and on arriving at the scene they managed to rescue Benson and Fitz, although both needed to be resuscitated with oxygen.

Both pets are making good progress but Benson is still on medication to help clear the effects of smoke inhalation on his lungs.

Lee Twaddle told icBerkshire.co.uk “It is amazing what the firefighters did for them. You would have thought it was human they were rescuing.

“Everyone has been fantastic. Our neighbours and friends have offered their support and help.

“We want to say thank you to everyone.”

The fire is thought to have been caused by a bedroom lamp being knocked over.

You may like...