Expert advice on preparing for a winning debut in the show ring
Follow our at-a-glance guide to entering your first show.
Before you set off for your big day check that you have organised the following essentials:
- A copy of the schedule to check you are eligible to enter?
- A map and directions of how to get there – aim to arrive early
- A packed lunch and refreshments for your family and helpers
- A checklist of all the clothes and tack you will need on the day. These should include string for your number, scrunchies for the hair, tiepin , extra hairnet, a change of clothes etc
- Sufficient money for entries
- Check oil and water in lorry/car
- Check tyres and spare
- Insurance/MOT up to date
- Current flu/vet certificate
Make sure that you have packed the following for your pony
- whitener for legs
- clean grooming kit
- blackener for knees and hooves
- baby oil for eyes and muzzle
- human hairbrush for M&M manes and tails
- clean sponge
Last minute checks :
- Saddle, girth, bridle bit – have you cleaned them and put them back together?
- Jodphur boots – have you sewn elastic onto the jodhpurs?
- Gloves – for leader and rider?
- Lead Rein Leader – have you got the leather lead rein? Your showing cane?Your running shoes? Your Hat? Don’t forget your tights!
- Dad – have you got the camera? The video? Money for emergencies?
- Don’t forget a map!
- Arrive early, be prepared!
Read more show tips: