UPDATED:
avatar

Meynell and South Staffordshire banned from National Trust land

huntingnew2.jpg

The National Trust says it will not allow the Meynell and South Staffordshire to hunt over its land this season, following the conviction of two people allied to the pack for unlawful hunting.

Former joint-master Johnny Greenall and a member of the field, Glen Morris, were convicted at Derby Magistrates Court on Friday, 10 August.

In a statement last week (6 September), the National Trust said it would not be granting a licence for the 2012-13 season over its land at Ilam, Kedleston and Calke.

It said: “The National Trust is very much aware of the importance of countryside traditions. We allow field sports to take place on our property where traditionally practised, providing they are within the law and are compatible with the Trust’s purposes.

“The Trust is a charitable body and as such cannot take a political position either for or against field sports.”

A group of saboteurs based in Derby petitioned the Trust to remove the access rights.

The petition garnered 1,431 signatures, compared with a counter-petition in support of the Meynell, that was signed by more than 4,000 people.

The National Trust did not meet hunt officers before making its decision.

One of the Meynell joint-masters, Richard Parrott, told H&H that he wanted to work constructively with the National Trust to regain access rights next season.

“We are looking forward to meeting them as soon as is practicably possible with a view to being able to resume our lawful hunting activities over National Trust land,” he said.

This news story was first published in the current issue of H&H (13 September 2012)