Foal dies after being set on fire

  • A foal has died after being set on fire.

    The four-month-old skewbald colt was found with serious burns to his nose, face and front legs on Wednesday, 19 August.

    Yesterday (Wednesday, 26 August) H&H reported that the foal was still being treated by vets, however he died today (Thursday, 27 August).

    The foal, named Angus, was found by his owners with the burn injuries.

    Police believe that flammable liquid was poured on Angus’ face before it was set alight.

    Derbyshire burnt foal 3

    Owner Kayleigh Appleby visited Angus this morning (Thursday, 27 August) and he died shortly afterwards.

    “I want to thank everyone who has given us moral support and offered money to help with Angus’s vet bills,” she said.

    “We didn’t accept the money but really appreciate how much people have taken Angus to their hearts.”

    Chief Inspector Cathy Hyde from the RSPCA added: “This was a horrifically cruel attack on a defenceless foal with tragic consequences.

    “Foals are naturally inquisitive and trusting and it’s awful that it appears someone has taken advantage of this.

    “Attacks like this are extremely rare but understandably local horse owners will be worried and we would suggest they are extra vigilant.

    “We would encourage the public to contact the police and groups like Horsewatch to report people acting suspiciously or unusual vehicles visiting fields and yards.”

    Angus was in a field off Alexander Terrace near a water treatment plant, along with two other foals and some horses.

    Police in Pinxton are appealing for witnesses to the attack, which happened between the evening of Monday 17 August and Wednesday 19 August.

    During the evening of 23 August the field gate at the property was also damaged and the lock smashed.

    Anyone who has any information about either incident should ring 101, quoting incident number 231/24/08/15, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

    You may like...