An estimated £10,000 worth of damage has been caused by a fire at H.A.C.K. Horse Sanctuary at Llay, near Wrexham.
The fire, which burned for an hour-and-a-half, started at just before 6pm on Monday 26 September in a new barn used to store hay.
Wrexham fire service says that the fire was started deliberately and police will be investigating the incident.
The owner of the sanctuary Pamela Bluck said: “A large amount of tools stored on a nearby tractor and trailer were stolen between the time of my son leaving the yard, and the fire starting.
“Both the brand new barn, costing us £4,000, and the trailer, another £2,000, have gone up in smoke not to mention the July crop of hay stored on the trailer.
“I’m still in shock about it all to be honest, it was my mother’s funeral the day after so I haven’t been able to process it all.
“We are all volunteers here, this will no doubt make life harder for us.”
The sanctuary, which is currently home to 15 horses, intends to organise a number of extra fundraising events. To donate visit www.justgiving.com/hackhorse