Three members of last year’s gold medal-winning team return to the British squad for the 2008 young rider European Championships at Kreuth, Germany (25-28 September).
Georgie Spence, Emily Galbraith and Dani Cuomo are the returning squad members, although only Dani rides the same horse as last year, her own 10-year-old Ballin Willow (pictured).
These three are joined on the squad by Ben Hobday, an individual at last year’s championships, Emily Llewellyn, who moves up from the junior ranks where she won three medals, and Sarah Stretton, who wears the British colours for the first time.
The full Jump-sponsored squad is:
- Dani Cuomo, 19, and her own Ballin Willow
- Emily Galbraith, 20, and her own Timing
- Ben Hobday, 20, and his own Uptons Who
- Emily Llewellyn, 19, and her mother Cindy’s Pardon Me II
- Georgie Spence, 19, and and Christopher Jenkins’ Skylight
- Sarah Stretton, 21, and Billie Childs’ Lazy Acres Skip On
- Sophie Griffith-Jones, 20, and her own Seaboy
- Alice Pearson, 20, and Tricia Wilkins’ Beau Bear
One surprise omission from the squad is double junior European champion Laura Collett with Fernhill Sox, who were second at the final trial, but this is down to a problem with qualifications — for a championship qualifications have to be achieved in the current or preceeding year and Fernhill Sox has not done a CCI** since 2006.
Laura has now re-routed to Blenheim, for which she and Fernhill Sox are qualified.