Piggy was selected last week, but both “Topper” and her other top ride Jakata were named as potential rides for her. However, the British Equestrian Federation confirmed today that Piggy will ride last year’s test event winner DHI Topper W and Piggy told H&H that Jakata is on the injury list. Both horses belong to Piggy’s father Wally and Michael Underwood.
“Sadly Jakata has sustained an injury which puts him out of competition for this year, but hopefully he’ll be back for Badminton next spring,” said Piggy.
“I’m very much looking forward to riding ‘Topper’ in London. Obviously he’s been there before and performed very well. We had a good feeling for the place, so that may be an advantage.”
British eventing performance manager Yogi Breisner said: “DHI Topper W may be a young horse , but he has already proven himself talented and suited to Greenwich, winning the London test event last summer and then going on to win the Blenheim CCIO***. Piggy is a proven championship rider and together they make an exciting partnership for the London Olympic Games.”
The BEF has today sent in full “nominated entry lists” of horses and riders in every Olympic discipline to the FEI. Only these horses can be considered to compete at the Games, so the combinations listed below form the reserves for the British eventing team.
British Olympic eventing team reserves
- Sarah Cohen with the Preci Spark Ltd’s Treason
- Laura Collett with Jason Houghton’s Rayef
- William Fox-Pitt with Catherine Witt’s Parklane Hawk
- William Fox-Pitt with David and Margie Hall and Jeremy and Judith Skinner’s Neuf Des Coeurs
- Pippa Funnell with Carol Toliver’s Mirage D’Elle
- Mary King with Derek Rostron Baden and the Mares Team’s Kings Temptress
- Polly Stockton with Arthur Comyn’s and her own Westwood Mariner
- Francis Whittington with Margrete Paget’s Sir Percival III
- Lucy Wiegersma with Christopher and Sarita Perkins’ Simon Porloe
- Nicola Wilson with Rosemary Search’s Opposition Buzz