Ireland will send an eventing team to this summer’s Olympics, Horse Sport Ireland announced last Sunday
The decision follows a meeting between chef d’equipe Ginny Elliot and owners, riders and trainers — and Geoff Curran’s win at the World Cup qualifier at Tattersalls (read report in the current issue of Horse & Hound, p44).
A squad of 14 has been selected (see full list below), which will be reduced to eight before 16 June, with the final line-up to be announced after Barbury Castle horse trials in early July.
“I am happy that enough riders will give full commitment to the programme over the next two and a half months,” said Ginny.
Ireland secured five Olympic places through riders’ individual world rankings.
Irish eventing squad
- Geoff Curran (Balladeer Alfred and Kilkishen)
- Jayne Doherty (Art Attack)
- Niall Griffin (Lorgaine)
- Louise Lyons (Watership Down)
- Joseph Murphy (Master Boy)
- Austin O’Connor (Hobby Du Mee)
- Michael Owen (King Bob)
- Sacha Pemble (Hyanie d’Aubrie)
- Elizabeth Power (Kilpatrick River)
- Michael Ryan (Old Road)
- Donal Healy (Master Imp)
- Patricia Ryan (Fernhill Clover Mist)
- Steven Smith (Quality VH)
- Sarah Wardell (Kincluny)
- Sam Watson (Ballybolger Bushman)