Isabell Werth and Warum Nicht won the opening Western European League qualifier in the FEI World Cup series at Odense, Denmark (22-25 November).
The current World Cup champion scored 79.50% to finish ahead of Sweden’s Jan Brink with Björsells Briar. Warum Nicht (Hannes) was more relaxed in the kür than he had been in the previous day’s grand prix, much to his rider’s relief.
“I think everyone could see that yesterday it was a ride between highlights and big mistakes,” she explained. “Hannes was a bit spooky because of the atmosphere and it was very difficult to get him at ease in the arena. I am happy we managed so well today.”
As well as vital points towards the World Cup series standings, Isabell Werth took home a Kia car and a fur coat. Jan Brink also won a car for second place. This was the first time that the show had hosted an FEI World Cup Qualifier and these special prizes helped attract the big names to the venue.
“If you want to gain the interest of the best riders, then you need the best prizes,” said show organizer, Bo Kristoffersen of JBK Horseshows.
1. Warum Nicht (Isabell Werth) (GER) 79.50%
2. Björsells Briar (Jan Brink) (SWE) 78.80%
3. Gredstedgaards Casmir (Andreas Helgstrand)(DEN) 77.15%
4. Digby (Nathalie Zu Sayn Wittgenstein) (DEN) 76.10%
5. Vincent (Bernadette Pujals) (MEX) 75.10%
6. Hexagon’s Ollright (Laurens Van Lieren) 74,45%
7. Guinness (Louise Nathhorst) (SWE) 73,15%
8. Afrikka (Anders Dahl) (DEN) 72.75%
9. Mikado Engvang (Joachin Thomsen) (DEN) 72.45%
10. Paganini (Jeroen Devroe) (BEL) 69.15%
11. Mr President (Stephanie Croxford) (GBR) 69.10%