Pineau De Re stormed to victory in the 2014 Crabbie's Grand National with jockey Leighton Aspell — giving debutant trainer Dr Richard Newland a win at his 1st attempt
6 fun facts about Pineau De Re
1. Pineau De Re is the 3rd consecutive 11-year-old to win the Grand National, following on from Auroras Encore in 2013 and Neptunes Collonges in 2012.
2. Pineau De Re is a fortified wine produced in Charente, western France.
3. Pineau De Re is the 2nd Scottish-owned Grand National winner. Auroras Encore has 2 Scots among his 3 owners.
4. Pineau De Re is the 9th horse starting with the letter P to win the Grand National in 167 runnings.
5. Leighton Aspell, the winning rider, is the 2nd jockey in succession to have retired from riding and then made a comeback to win the race. Ryan Mania, the winner on Auroras Encore in 2013, did the same.
6. Pineau De Re is the 6th Grand National winner to be bred in France, following on from Neptune Collonges (2012), Mon Mome (2009), Lutteur II (1909), Reugny (1874) and Alcibiade (1865).
Don’t miss the full Crabbie’s Grand National report in this week’s Horse & Hound magazine (10 April 2014)