After probably one of the wettest seasons on record, first day competitors at the BSJA Easibed Scope Festival of show jumping were thankfully greeted by wall to wall sunshine.
Marathon entries competed in four rings on the opening day, and first victors in the two phase preliminary rounds were:
- Equitrader Magazine National Members Cup – Georgina Hilton riding Forge Freeway (138 starters).
- Sport Horse Classic Blue Riband – Richard Barton riding Lord Tennyson (134 starters).
- George Babes Young riders B&C prelim – Katherine Astall riding Lucy II (90 starters).
- Rybank Homes National Under21/18 – James Billington riding Lady Des Hayettes (77 starters).
- Regan Willett National 128cm – Jessica Mendoza took the top two placings riding Spring Disney and Charleys Angel (46 starters).
- Sportaction TV Junior Adventurer – Rachel Connor riding Double Time (46 starters).
In addition, 11 combinations jumped double clear rounds in preparation for their respective six- and seven-year-old championships.
Organisers Scope (UK) and officials face another busy week in this the 11th running of the festival held at Stafford County showground. Coping with more than 1600 horses and ponies stabled on the ground, and more than 1800 entries are a full team of office and ground staff, 30 judges, 12 course builders and more 50 arena staff.
Brought forward by a day this year, the championships run from Sunday 26 August to the final evening on Saturday 1 September, when the Golden Bear National Tiny Tots, NGM Trust Dunglen 148cm championships and Easibed National 1.40m grand prix will bring the curtain down.
Don’t miss Horse & Hound’s full report of all the action from Scope in 6 September magazine