The BSJA has named six riders who are in contention for the British team at the World Equestrian Games in Aachen next month.
British team manager, Derek Ricketts said: “This year we are in a very fortunate position to have six horse and rider combinations who are all in contention for selection for the World Championship Team”.
The riders are:
- Nick Skelton, riding the Hales Family’s Arko III
- John Whitaker, riding Rebecca Stones’ Peppermill
- Michael Whitaker riding Gillespie Equestrian’s Insul Tech Portofino 63 and his own Mozart des Hayettes
- Tim Gredley riding Rowena Gredley’s Omelli
- Robert Smith riding Di and Pennie Cornish’s Marius Claudius
- William Funnell riding Julie Slade’s Cortaflex Mondriaan
Only five of the six will travel to WEG: the final team will be announced after the Royal International Horse Show at Hickstead.
The team members will compete for both team and individual honours in Aachen. The current team world champion is France, while Ireland’s Dermott Lennon holds the individual title.
The individual World Championship final follows a unique format in which each rider jumps each of their rivals’ horses. The rider who can produce the best performance out of all the horses is crowned World Champion.
Send your good luck messages to the WEG squad
Want to wish Team GB luck for WEG? H&H has prepared a card for our seven teams travelling to Aachen next month. To wish each or all of them “Best of British”, email WEGwishes@ipcmedia.com