Horse & Hound is supporting 15-times champion jockey AP McCoy in his quest to be named BBC Sports Personality of the Year this Sunday (19 December).
But the only way to ensure that this outstanding sportsman gets the recognition he deserves is if YOU pick up the phone and vote. Lines will be open during the programme, which will be aired from 7-9pm on BBC1, and voting details will be announced during the show.
Only three equestrians have ever won the award — David Broome in 1960, Princess Anne in 1971 and Zara Phillips in 2006. And just two jockeys have made the roll of honour — AP (2002) and Frankie Dettori (1996), who both came third.
“It’s great to have made the final 10 — that’s a compliment in itself, particularly as so few jockeys have been shortlisted in the past,” AP told H&H.
“I am getting great support from racing and the horseworld, which has been very flattering. Obviously Don’t Push it winning the Grand National for me has been hugely influential.”
The British Equestrian Federation is also backing the AP McCoy sports personality campaign. BEF chief executive Andrew Finding says: “It is important that we work in harmony with racing for the collective good of the whole equestrian industry. In my mind, success for racing and for AP, is a success for us all.
“AP is a quite extraordinary athlete and horseman, who I believe we should support as leaders in the sport and recreational horseworld.”
So don’t sit back and allow this fabulous opportunity to put equestrian sport centre stage slip through the net. On Sunday night, make sure you pick up the phone and vote for AP McCoy as BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
For further information visit: www.bbc.co.uk/sportspersonality
AP McCoy’s career highlights
- 1992 rides first winner
- 1996 crowned champion jockey for the first time
- 1997 wins Champion Hurdle (Make A Stand) and Cheltenham Gold Cup (Mr Mulligan)
- 2002 beats Sir Gordon Richards’ record of winners in a season (269, McCoy rode 289)
- 2003 receives an MBE
- 2006 becomes first jockey to ride 2,500 winners
- 2009 rides 3,000th jumps winner
- 2010 April wins Grand National for first time on Don’t Push it
- 2010 April named champion National Hunt jockey for 15th time
- 2010 receives an OBE
- 2010 wins Martin Collins special award at Animal Health Trust UK Equestrian Awards