Pony Club polo player died from reaction records inquest

  • Pony Club polo player Catherine Yates died from a combination of severe brain injury and a rare reaction to drugs administered to reduce brain swelling after a fall during a match, an inquest has heard.

    Miss Yates, 20, of Pershore, Worcestershire, was playing for the North Cotswold Pony Club against Northern Ireland at Cirencester Polo Club in 2006 when she was injured (news, 17 August 2006).

    She was airlifted to Frenchay Hospital where she died six days later from Propofol infusion syndrome, a rare reaction to the anaesthetic Propofol.

    Avon deputy coroner Brian Whitehouse recorded a verdict of death by misadventure at Flax Bourton, near Bristol, on 11 June.

    This news story was first published in Horse & Hound (19 June, ’08)

    You may like...