A top-class entry will ensure close competition at the 2002 Arena Leisure Windsor Horse Trials this weekend
The 2002 Arena Leisure Windsor Horse Trials (23-26 May) held in Windsor Great Park has attracted many top riders, although one noticable absentee is Badminton winner, Pippa Funnell.
A strong British entry is headed by the British team’s regular anchorman Jeanette Brakewell, who suffered an uncharacteristic fall with Over To You at Badminton, riding Sarah Bulwer-Long’s 10-year-old Burley Wood.
International hopes include Chatsworth winner Blyth Tait riding Ronnie Bartlett’s Ironic. Ironic, a 16.3 eight-year-old gelding, has astrong record in one-day events but this will be the first three-day challenge for the two-year-old partnership.
Matt Ryan is teaming up with Bonza Katoomba, who he describes as “a serious horse for the future”. The 16.2hh eight-year-old Irish Thoroughbred gelding finished second in the CIC** at Somerley Park in March.
Previous victor, Frenchman Franck Bourny, will be trying to give the opposition a run for their money with Belmont On The Road, a 10-year-old who has won at intermediate level.
Other international riders include France’s Rodolphe Scherer, Sweden’s Linda Algotsson and Australia’s Merrin Wallis.
Windsor always throws up a few surprises, but this popular three-day event is sure to provide great sport and enjoyable days out for all.
Windsor Horse Trials Fact File
Thursday 23 May
- Dressage 9am; show classes 9am; cocktail party 6pm.
- CCI dressage 9am; show hunter classes 8.30am; Grasshoppers show jumping final 11.30am; young riders show jumping final 2pm.
Saturday 25 May
- CCI speed & endurance 8.40am; children’s side-saddle showing/show jumpingclasses 11am; New Forest Pony action display 12.30pm; adult showing side-saddle/show jumping 2pm; costume class 4.15pm.
Sunday 26 May
- Final horse inspection 8.30am; Castle CCI section show jumping 10am; RDA musical ride 12pm; Yogi Breisner training display 1pm; Copper Horse CCI section parade 2.15pm; Copper Horse show jumping, 2.30; tug o’war 4.45pm; Pony Club parade 5pm.
- £5 per person Thursday/Friday/Sunday and £10 on Saturday; Membership tickets in advance (includes entry, car park, members’ tent) £10 on Thursday/Friday/Sunday and £15 on Saturday; season ticket for two is £70. For information (tel: 01327 361388).
- Windsor Horse Trials takes place inWindsor Great Park, between Ascot and Windsor off the A332.
Read more eventing news: