The selectors have named the team charged with securing Britain’s eighth consecutive European eventing team gold medal at Fontainebleau this autumn (24-27 September).
- Tina Cook on Miners Frolic, owned by Nicholas and Valda Embiricos and Sarah Pelham
- William Fox-Pitt on Idalgo, owned by George and Jayne Apter (with Jane Kier’s Macchiato as direct reserve horse)
- Mary King on Imperial Cavalier, owned by Edwin and Sue Davies and Janette Chinn
- Oliver Townend on Flint Curtis, owned by Robert and Edward Nicholson, or Carousel Quest, owned by Andrew Cawthray
- Lucy Wiegersma on Woodfalls Inigo Jones, owned by Ginnie Lyne
- Nicola Wilson on Opposition Buzz, owned by Rosemary Search
The team riders are all former medallists, although Idalgo and Imperial Cavalier will both be at their first international championship, as will Carousel Quest if he is chosen over Flint Curtis as Oliver Townend’s mount.
Mary King said: “I’m absolutely chuffed to bits. This is the first time Imperial Cavalier has been selected for a team; he’s a real worthy horse.
“We’ll obviously all be aiming to defend our European title and for me personally, I’ll be hoping to go one better than my individual silver from Pratoni in 2007.”
Individuals Lucy Wiegersma and Nicola Wilson will both be making their senior squad debut.
Nicola Wilson said: “Hearing the news was such a lovely surprise, I’m very much looking forward to the championships. This is a real dream come true for me.”
The reserves are:
- Daisy Dick on her own and her mother Caroline’s Spring Along
- Piggy French on Some Day Soon, owned by Wally French, Sue Crane, James and Miriam Midgley
- Mary King on Kings Temptress, owned by Derek Baden
- Clea Phillipps on her own, her husband Vere and Judy Barnard’s Lead The Way
- Polly Stockton on Regulus, owned by Anne Henson