- Don’t forget to wish Team GB good luck for WEG. H&H has made a card for our seven teams travelling to Aachen. To wish each or all “Best of British”, e-mail: WEG firstname.lastname@example.org
- Still on a high after the football World Cup, German sports fans were last weekend treated to a pre-WEG promotional event in front of Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate.
The event brought together the nation’s show jumping team and dressage World Champion and Olympic medallists Nadine Capellmann and Isabell Worth.The riders showcased their sports in a specially erected arena in front of the gate — Germany’s equivalent of Trafalgar Square.
- The last British squad to be named — the vaulters — is (team): Joanne Eccles, Ross Foreman, Hannah Eccles, Hannah Nicol, James Pate, Ann Stark, Harriet Nicol and reserves Hannah Young and Gemma Hope. Female individuals: Liz Watson, Sarah Watson, Joanne Eccles and reserve Lucy Phillips. Male individuals: Ricky Davies and Philip Beasley.
- The Show Jumping Club has up to six tickets for the WEG show jumping on behalf of members unable to travel on the club trip to Aachen (tel: 01442 832119).
- Dan Jocelyn misses WEG after Silence’s stifle injury at Aston-le-Walls. His place on the New Zealand squad goes to US-based Donna Smith with Call Me Clifton. UK-based Joe Meyer (Snip), Caroline Powell (Lenamore), Alex De Luca Oliveira (Clifton Checkers) and Andrew Nicholson (Lord Killinghurst) make up the squad, with Heelan Tompkins (Glengarrick) as back-up.
- Sweden fields the same riders on its eventing team as at last year’s Blenheim Europeans (where they finished fourth): double World Cup champion Linda Algotsson, Magnus Gallerdal, Dag Albert
and Viktoria Carlerback.