Warwickshire College is gearing up for the imminent unveiling of its new equine therapy and rehabilitation centre at the college’s Moreton Morrell centre.
The new centre will host state-of-the-art equipment including an equine water treadmill, the only one of its kind in the UK. It is used for improving flexibility and promoting correct movement and gait in a safe controlled environment with low impact on the horse.
The new hydrotherapy spa will also be used to treat many common lower leg injuries. Both pieces of equipment are vital in the promotion of therapy and rehabilitation of performance horses.
The centre also houses many purpose built stalls in which students can gain first hand massage and therapeutic techniques.
Students on the college’s BSc (hons) equine therapy and rehabilitation degree programme will be able to benefit from studying within the brand new centre from September 2014.
Over 40 years of excellence in equine training and education
Warwickshire College is a UK and international leader in the delivery of FE, HE, part-time and distance learning equine courses, with exceptional facilities at Moreton Morrell.
With subjects including equine therapy, business management, sports science, horse care, coaching, equine science, horseracing industry and many more, there’s a course at Warwickshire College to suit every specialism and level of experience.
A wealth of facilities at Moreton Morrell
The equine centre at Warwickshire College is approved by the British Horse Society (BHS) as a “where to train” centre up to instructor level and hosts BHS examinations at the college up to fellowship level. It is a live business which gives you the opportunity to benefit from hands-on experience with commercial activities.
Students gain access to:
- Stabling for over 120 horses with 50 hectares of grazing enclosures
- Rider performance centre including horse simulator, fitness testing, postural and biomechanical analysis
- Equine performance centre including high-speed treadmill
- Well-equipped science labs including sports performance facilities
- 60 well-schooled competitive horses from novice to advanced
- Indoor arena with gallery
- Covered and outdoor maneges
- British Showjumping-approved show jumps
- Cross-country schooling fences
- British Eventing cross-country course
- Purpose-built farrier centre with traditional brick-built forges
- Moreton Morrell riding club — with frequent competitions and events
- Well-equipped teaching facilities for lectures, seminars and practical sessions
What the students say
Course: BSc (hons) sport science (equine and human)
Emma completed her BSc (Hons) at Warwickshire College and also undertook an additional placement year, which she spent working at a riding school and livery yard. Emma says: “I stayed at Moreton Morrell as a residential student and the centre had a real community feel. I especially enjoyed being able to bring my own horse, Sam, to the college and have him stabled just a few minutes away from where I was staying.”
Upcoming open events
Warwickshire College holds HE Equine open oays at Moreton Morrell specifically for anyone interested in degree courses. The day includes a presentation, tour of the campus and HE-centred Q&A session with expert tutors:
HE Equine open events —book your place in advance
- Saturday 22 February, 9.45am-1pm
- Saturday 22 March, 9.45am-1pm
- Saturday 5 April, 9.45am-1pm
- Saturday 3 May, 9.45am-1pm
- Wednesday 18 June, 9.45am-1pm
- Wednesday 16 July, 9.45am-1pm
For more details, visit: www.warwickshire.ac.uk/equine or call 0300 45 600 49.
Follow us: www.twitter.com/wcequine