Competitors have had headcollars, rugs and shavings stolen from the on-site stables at the Royal Norfolk Show.

The thieves struck in the middle of the night yesterday (Tuesday 24 June).

Lauren Roberts, a freelance groom working at the show, said her owner wasn’t affected as she had padlocked her stable, but neighbouring horses had headcollars and hoods taken off them.

One owner had 20 bales of shavings stolen, and many lost lead ropes that had been tied by doors.

The losses were all reported to the police today (Wednesday 25 June) in the early hours of the opening day of the 2-day show.

Pete Joyner, press officer for the show, said: “We are aware of a small number of incidents on the site. We take security extremely seriously and are working with the police to resolve the issues.”

Around 10 people reported thefts to the police, who are carrying out further investigations.

The stables are covered by the showground’s onsite security said Mr Joyner.

The Royal Norfolk has 1,600 horses competing across the 2 days.

“We have several Horse of the Year Show qualifiers — horses are a very important part of the show,” added Mr Joyner.