A new showing ticket system, called “The PUK Ticket to Qualify”, will give showing enthusiasts the opportunity to be eligible to qualify for any of Ponies (UK)’s 42 Summer Championship classes.
Previously, competitors and their horses had to be registered with the showing society in order to qualify for the Summer Championships. Non-members were allowed to contest qualifying classes but would not qualify if placed in the top three. However, the new “ticket” will allow individuals to register their qualification by becoming members during a seven-day period following a top-three show ring performance.
Betsy Branyan of Ponies (UK) explains: “With so many showing societies now operating, some people were finding the cost of being members of them all prohibitive. The ticket scheme allows them to be eligible for qualification without investing in full membership first. We expect it will also be useful to those with young horses who may, or may not, be ready to compete at affiliated level during the season.”
The tickets cost £10 each and are registered to the horse or pony. They should be carried in to the ring by the rider or handler, and will be signed by the judge if the horse is placed in the first three. Cards then need to be returned to the Ponies (UK) office with the necessary membership and horse registration forms for the qualification for the Summer Championships to become valid.
This year’s Summer Championships are taking place at the Newark & Notts showground after 45 years at the East of England show ground in Peterborough. Ponies (UK) are running a series of road shows this spring — starting in Cambridgeshire this Friday — to answer exhibitors’ questions about the venue.
Branyan says: “The road shows will give us an opportunity to talk to members about the new venue, publish the layout of the show and answer any questions. The show will be very different this year, but we are sure it will be a huge success.”
The road shows will take place at:
- Friday 11 March – 7.00p.m. – Alwalton Village Hall, Alwalton, Cambridgeshire
- Thursday 17 March – 7.00pm – Tern Hill Country Club, Tern Hill, Shropshire
- Saturday 26 March – BSPA Winter Championships – College EC, Bedfordshire
- Monday 4 April – P(UK) Southern Festival – S of E Showground, Ardingly
- Thursday 7 April – P(UK) Stallion Show – Three Counties Showground, Malvern
- Sunday 10 April – P(UK) Wales & South West Festival – The Hand EC, Somerset
- Saturday 23 April – P(UK) Northern Ireland Festival – Necarne Castle, Fermanagh
- Saturday 1 May – P(UK) Scottish Festival – Dabbs EC, Giffordtown, Fife
- Wednesday 18 May – P(UK) Members Day – Birchingley EC, Rochdale, Lancs
For more information visit: www.poniesuk.org