Traditional elegance is the order of the day as Ladies Hunters return to HOYS
Side-saddle and hunter enthusiasts can look forward to the return of the Ladies hunters class at thisyear’s Horse of the Year show following a three-year break.
The popular showing class, in which hunters are shown side-saddle by female riders, was last held at the show in 1998 when John Dunlop’s Statesman, ridden by Sue Rawding, claimed the Ladies Hunter of the Year title.
“We are looking forward to having this traditional and spectacular showing championship back at HOYS and are delighted to have the support of Juniper Green Organic Gin who are sponsoring the class,” says Grandstand Media director Mike Gill.
“It’s great that side-saddle will be represented once again at HOYS,” says honorary secretary of the Side Saddle Association (SSA), Sandra Higgins. “Interest in side-saddle is steadily increasing and HOYS will provide riders, who might like to give it a try, the chance to see side-saddle in action.”
The shows holding Ladies Hunter of the Year qualifiers are:
- 6-8 June – South of England
- 6-8 June – Royal Cornwall
- 14-16 June – Eastof England
- 18-19 June – Cheshire County
- 19-20 June – Lincolnshire County
- 24-26 June – Talk of the North
- 26-27 June – Royal Norfolk
- 1-4 July – Royal Show
- 9-11 July – Great Yorkshire
- 12-14 July – Kent County
- 30 July-1 August – New Forest & Hampshire
- 11 August – Fulmer Horse Show
- 22 August – Melplash Show
- 25-26 August – Edenbridge & Oxted Show
- 29 August – Bucks County
This year’s Horse of the Year show is taking place at theNEC in Birmingham from 9-13 October.
For more information on HOYS visit www.hoys.co.uk
To find out more about riding side-saddle contact the SSA (tel: 01837 871313) or visit www.equiworld.com/ssa