Top Flat jockey Frankie Dettori has been banned from riding for six months.
The 41-year-old jockey failed a random drugs test at Longchamp racecourse in Paris on 16 September.
A hearing with French racing’s governing body, France Galop, was held last month (20 November) with news of the suspension coming today (Wednesday 5 December).
His ban runs from 20 November until 19 May 2013 and is likely to be worldwide. This means Frankie will miss the start of the British Flat racing season including Newmarket’s Guineas meeting in early May. However, he will be clear to ride at the 2013 Derby meeting and Royal Ascot.
“France Galop have today announced their finding that Frankie Dettori has committed a breach of their rules relating to prohibited substances,” said Frankie’s solicitor Christopher Stewart-Moore,
“I have spoken to Frankie and he has told me he fully accepts France Galop’s decision.
“He also accepts that he has let down the sport he loves and all those associated with it, as well as the wider public. But most of all, and this is his greatest regret, he has let down his wife and children.”
A spokesman for the British Horseracing Authority said: “The BHA is aware that a six-month suspension has been imposed on Frankie Dettori by France Galop after a positive test for a banned substance.
“As is routine if requested by France Galop we will reciprocate this ban, though Dettori of course first has the right to appeal.”
Paul Struthers, of the Professional Jockeys Association, said: “Frankie Dettori has made a mistake and accepted the consequences of it, and if he needs any support the PJA and Injured Jockeys Fund between them can provide that.
“Jockeys in Britain are subjected to regular testing and, from 2,607 in-competition urine tests and 3,697 breath tests since 2005, there is no evidence to suggest that there is a fundamental drug problem with jockeys. 0.3% of urine testswere positive for drugs and 0.2% of both urine and breath tests were positive for alcohol.”