Lester Piggott is making good progress after being admitted to hospital in Switzerland suffering from heart problems.

The legendary jockey had a recurrence of the problem that led to him spending five days in West Suffolk Hospital at Christmas.

Lester, 71, was admitted to hospital in Lausanne on Monday night after complaining of feeling unwell, but son-in-law William Haggas told www.racingpost.co.uk on Tuesday evening: “I have just spoken to [my wife] Maureen and she feels Lester is in no danger of losing his life.

“He is talking about getting out of hospital tomorrow [Wednesday] and obviously that’s a no-hope, but it’s a good sign as it shows he doesn’t think it’s too much.”

In response to the scare, Newmarket Racecourse has postponed ‘Lester Piggott Day’ on Saturday. The special day had been organised to mark the 50th anniversary of Lester’s first 2,000 Guineas winner.

But Newmarket managing director Lisa Hancock said: “Lester Piggott Day without the great man present would have had an empty feel.

“Lester was so looking forward to the day, but as he convalesces he can look forward to it later in the year.”

Saturday will now be a normal raceday at the Suffolk venue.