It’s the news the horse world has been waiting for.

Kauto Star will be going to Cheltenham on Friday (16 March) to contest his sixth- and probably last – Gold Cup.

Trainer Paul Nicholls made the announcement in his Betfair column.

“I have just put the ‘phone down to [owner] Clive [Smith] and, barring any mishaps in the next few days, Kauto lines up for the Gold Cup at Cheltenham on Friday,” he said.

“Clive and I have given Kauto Star the green light for the Cheltenham Gold Cup after a very good schooling session on the grass this morning.

“Ruby [Walsh] came over to school him and Kauto was awesome, just as I’d thought he would be. He jumped six fences and he was foot-perfect,” he added.

Kauto’s chances of running in the Gold Cup were described as only “50:50” following what Paul Nicholls described as a “pretty awful fall” when jumping a fence at his Ditcheat base last month.

Doubts over the 12-year-old gelding’s participation did ease slightly on Friday (9 March) when he pleased connections with a gallop on the racecourse at Wincanton.

Now racing fans can breath a sigh of relief as “King Kauto” attempts his third Gold Cup victory.

“We are looking forward to it,” said Paul Nicholls.